Saturday, February 13, 2010

fat cats get slim!

Well hello, blog people!

I had a birthday/anniversary this past week and am now inching closer to thirty onnoes. More about that laters.

So, you know how we were having issues with our fatty mcfatfat cats and had to put them on a feeding schedule? Oh what a joy that has been. One the one hand, not having food available to them all day has cut back on what they actually consumed, almost by half. Chester and Eowyn have both lost weight- this is good, because we hadn't noticed that Chester's harness was starting to rub the fur off his chest. Fat little turd.

On the other hand, it meant that the cats were very determined to get me out of bed early every day. All five. Very loudly. Waking up to a cat wanting to cuddle is one thing, waking up to an angry mob is another.

For ages I've wanted to get the cat version of the Kong toys for my cats for treats. We found one in Portland a few weeks ago, and after the initial annoyance of their treats not being easily obtained they got the hang of it. Even seemed to enjoy it.

So, when we found a larger feeder in a similar vein at Petco on Tuesday, we nabbed it. Now, all five are forced to work for their food, which supposed to make them happy (They're not convinced of this yet) and less lazy.  I'm not too sure about that. Chester lays on his side, shoves his leg through, pulls out some food and eats...and eats. But he eats decidedly less, and hasn't put on any weight this week, so. We're putting this in the win column for now.

2 comments:

  1. Fat cats! I only leave a small amount of food out overnight, so Jacob wakes me up EVERY morning by walking on my head repeatedly until I feed him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chester runs up inches from my face, stares at me until I open my eyes, and cries. The first couple nights the little bastard took to biting my forehead to get me to wake up. Cats are great!!

    ReplyDelete