Thursday, April 29, 2010

When I was a teenager, music was so important to me that I never thought I could date, let alone marry someone who had very different musical tastes  then myself. It's probably a good thing I got over that, seeing as I doubt I'd ever find anyone with the same taste in music as myself. 

Anton has the grace to accept that my music taste is finely honed and far superior then his own. I wish I could be as gracious about his taste in music. 

As much as I love the music and bands that I do, I don't think I could ever be as... devoted as he and his friends are. While driving to another state isn't out of the question for me to see a band I love (where I get my car towed and have to walk in heels across a town I don't know), I absolutely detest arena shows. That's partly because I was trampled at an Incubus concert during the second song and ended up in the first aid area for the rest of the stupid concert, meaning I really only spent money to see 30 Seconds to Mars (vomit) and be injured. But it's more because music is very intimate to me (not that it isn't to him) but sharing the experience of my favorite music, live, with thousands of people, isn't high on my list of things to do. 

I've been to a crap ton of concerts in my life, and the shows I love and remember fondly are the small venue ones. Like when Jennifer and I saw Flickerstick for the first time at St Andy's, (or any of the other subsequent times I saw FS.) or seeing Great Lakes Myth Society in a bar with maybe 50 people. Maybe. I want to feel like they're playing for me and that's a lot easier to imagine when there aren't hundreds of people in between you and the band. 

Sorry. You didn't notice because this isn't real time, but I just had to take a 20 minute dance break to listen to Flickerstick. 

Right. So. The point I was trying to get to was that as much as I absolutely love Flickerstick and GLMS and will drive many hours to see them, I'm can't see myself willingly handing over $100+ to attend a stadium show watch them from the nosebleeds and barely be able to make out who's who on the stage. (Now, since 'stick is disbanded, if in 10 years or so they did a reunion tour at small clubs? I'd pay pretty much anything because I know the experience is going to be intimate and I'm going to get to hang out with them after the show.) Anton, on the other hand, seems to think stadium tours are where it's at, and that 100 dollars is a paltry sum to pay to see a band THAT TOURS EVERY FRICKIN' YEAR and so it's not special at all, and you're sharing the experience with strangers. (there are no strangers at a 'stick or GLMS show. It's 80 people who feel like family during and after each show. I've never felt that at a stadium show, ever.)

Our discussion on him wanting to see the worst Canadian band ever this fall turn into both of us thinking the other had no soul or taste in music (I'm right). But, as I know my taste in music is niche and my enjoyment of things never includes large crowds, I guess I need to know what other people think. Just not people with shitty taste in music. 


3 comments:

  1. If he so much as brought a Nickelback cd in the house it would be grounds for a divorce. I forgot they existed, actually. No, he and his friends are way, way into Rush, like, worse then the guys in "I Love You, Man."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just came across your blog and HAD to comment (and probably follow like a stalker).

    You and I are twins of the mind when it comes to being passionate about music and thinking (knowing) our taste is maximum superior to everyone else's. My husband's taste in music is the polar opposite from mine (total shite) and it makes me cringe when he grabs a hold of the radio changer.

    ReplyDelete