Sunday, April 25, 2010

Day tripper

I think I've mentioned before that I want to do as much this summer around New England that we can, because once we leave I am never coming back. That, and if I have to be here, I want to enjoy myself and not just sit in my apartment grumbling about what a stupid state this is.

One thing I've found is too much planning ruins the fun. All we really need is an address to put into the gps and gas in the tank. Sure, I usually bring along drinks and snack bars in case a decent restaurant is hard to find, but the fun for us is the journey, not the destination.

Anyway. Yesterday I had intended that we go to an armory in Worcester, but while we were waking up in the morning, random Google searches (this is how I find EVERYTHING, I swear. I heart Google.) I stumbled upon  a free tour that the Anheuser-Busch brewery does- and even better, Saturday was Pictures with the  Clydesdales day, so we took off for Merrimack, N.H. instead.

I'm not that into beer- in fact, the only time I ever really drank beer was back when I smoked, and I think my lack of taste buds masked how awful beer tastes (too me, anyway). I'm much more likely to drink liquor or hard ciders- and, really, I'm not supposed to be drinking beer anyway. BUT. Shut up. I do what I want.

My real goal was to meet the Clydesdales, but since we were there, we decided to take the free tour, too. I think we both expected it to be boring and dull, but...we actually had a lot of fun and are considering going back to take the paid tour when my parents come this summer.  And, I really want a horse. Like. Really.

Another win yesterday was I finally figured out how to make curry from scratch. I absolutely love Japanese curry, it's turned into a comfort food for me. This winter when I was sick it was the only thing I wanted to eat. The only problem was is the pre-made cubes all had wheat* in them, and while I have curry powder, we haven't been able to find a recipe to make the roux. But feeling inspired yesterday, and with the help of a pretty decent recipe, I finally made a good, spicy curry. I can die happy.


*I know, right? I was just talking about beer and then I was all Ooohh can't have the wheat curry. I try to only have wheat every few weeks to avoid having any major symptoms. AND I really just want to know how to make curry without having the cubes, it's way cheaper.

2 comments:

  1. Gaaaaah giant horsies! Beer is just meh for me. I usually only drink it with a small selection of foods, but I'll take a nice mixed drink over beer any day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beer has to be really, really smooth for me to like it. But I'd take a horse over beer any day.

    ReplyDelete