Sunday, October 23, 2011

No time to wallow in the mire

I've been home on sick leave for the past week and a half, but I've only been up to sitting up for maybe the last day or two. I don't recommend getting surgery in your abdomen region if you plan on doing things. I kept being told recovery was going to be so quick that I'd be bored and begging to go back to work. First of all, anyone who knows me knows I would never beg to go back to work. I go back only resigned to my fate, but never eager. Second, I was lucky enough to develop post-surgery anemia which slowed me down quite a bit- even without the medication I've been on, standing for any length of time would make me dizzy and winded. Standing. Add that to the pain heaped with pain, and it's been a pretty crappy week and a half. The only positive (which,was the goal, really) is that it has seemed to solve the problems I was having pre-surgery. So YAY.

My big plan for the obligatory two weeks off of work was to write, write, write. I keep saying what I need is a few weeks away from work to recharge so I can actually focus on writing, but I was overstretching it thinking I could do it while cut up. Today was the first day I actually pulled out my notebook, but I didn't write anything new. I did start typing the current draft, which is smart considering how many times I've misplaced my notebooks the past several months- even left one at my grandmother's when I visited in August.

I had a list of goals I wanted to do before I turn 30 in a few months- several of which I've actually accomplished, a few I won't be able to (thanks to my body turning on me over the summer. Jerk body. At least that is sorted now.) but one I'm going to be very fucking angry with myself if I don't manage it is getting this fucking story to the point I'd actually start looking for an agent or trying to shop it out to a publisher myself. I have wasted too much of the last decade half-assing and dreaming, and the time to hesitate is fucking through. 


Not that this particular story has been in the works for 10 years- last 3 in bits and pieces. I just get frustrated at myself for not having anything to show for the past ten years of my life. I've done nothing, contributed nothing.

I have three more days left until I have to go back to work, and then NaNoWriMo rolls around again. For whatever reason, it was very helpful last year (10th times the charm?) and I'm hoping the same holds true this year. I might even go to some of the meet ups this time if only to have some one to read for me. I love my family but they're not exactly the people you go to for constructive criticism. 

2 comments:

  1. What did you have surgery for? Did I miss it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't miss anything! I've been maintaining radio silence (i.e., I am lazy.) but I had my gallbladder out. And good riddance to the thing.

    ReplyDelete