Sunday, June 27, 2010

Gardening update number something or other

Sometimes I wish I had a big straw hat and overalls for my urban garden. Though- Gram used to garden in jean shorts and tube tops, so I guess there really isn't one set dress code...

It's still early in the growing season, I suppose- even though we did start in March- but we've learned lots of valuable lessons. Aside from "don't start in March."

For one- some things can be grown closer to their mates then others. Peas? Separate those fuckers. We ended up with only 3 pods before ripping them all out. We'll try again this fall once it gets cooler again. 

For twosies- do not start leafy things in the mini-greenhouse. Start them right in their pots or they get all sad and die when you transfer them. Wimps.

For three- Don't try bok choy again until you have a proper garden. Stupid bok choy.

For four- Don't worry about spending money on containers. The window boxes for our green leafy things are great, and we only spent about 25-30 bucks all together on planters, but the majority of our plants are in re-purposed juice and soda bottles, and they are happy and big and lovely. 

For five- Research your broccoli! Ours is so so so dumb. It's tasty! but dumb. The florets of ours don't get very big, and aren't really useful for cooking. Unless all you're looking for a nibble of broccoli.

For sixes- Kentucky Climbers are obnoxious. They are on notice until they produce me a crazy crop of beans 

There are few things as sublime as walking out into my garden after work, though. Everything right now is so green and lush, and watching wee little flowers turn into something edible is awesome. If you've thought about growing something but don't know what to try first, do cucumbers. They are prolific. We've already had two off the vine, there are about 26 more in various stages of growth, and 50 some odd flowers. All that from 12 plants. We definitely we'll be cutting back on how many cucumber plants we have next year. 

Now exclusive to you, until I get around to posting them on Facebook, pictures:

One of the few flower plants I have. It's a mandevilla (we call her Judy*), expressing her desire for light. 



Judy, repotted and moved outside. This was last weekend, and now she's doubled in size. 


One of our first harvests, which turned into...


...a lovely salad. The radishes were store bought, but look how lovely it all is!




A few of my cuke plants, attempting to grow -off- the balcony.


This is the closest I could get to a full shot of the garden. There's more behind me and hidden at the other end as well. 




My jerk Kentucky Climbers. 








*When I was growing up, We went to church with a lady named Judy Madeville. All my gram's mandevilla plants were always known as Judy from then on, and it still seems to fit.

2 comments:

  1. When I was in elementary school, my mom mowed the lawn in obscenely tiny bikinis. It was so embarrassing. I wish she had worn jean shorts and a tube top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes she wore bikini tops, but we lived in the middle of the country so it's not like anyone ever saw her. :)

    ReplyDelete