Saturday, January 29, 2011

Vegan, Gluten Free curry roux

So. I love Japanese style curry. I could eat it every day, all day. We used to buy a roux by S&B, and both Anton and I could polish off a package alone. That's like, 2 family portions.

After I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy, curry had to go along with bread and other things that taste good. Jamie was a very sad panda.

While I haven't found a decent vegan gluten free bread yet (SERIOUSLY WHY IS IT SO HARD), I have managed to perfect a gluten free curry that is oh, so good. A friend on Facebook asked for the recipe tonight, and since I had to type it up, I thought I may as well share this deliciousness with you lovely people as well. You are welcome.

Curry 

2 Tbs butter o' your choice
2 Tbs flour (I use brown rice, adds a nice flavor)
3 Tbs brown sugar
1 tsp grated ginger*
1 tsp grated garlic*
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbs curry powder
2 C. broth (more if you like your curry thinner)
1/2 tsp garam masala (if you don't have any, substitute with chili and red pepper flakes)
Salt to taste

*if you use fresh ginger/garlic, cook with the onion. If you use the powder equivalent, add in with curry powder

Saute onions on low heat until brown

Meanwhile, heat butter until melted, then add in flour. Saute on low. Add curry powder. Slowly add in broth- mix well, and take your time so the curry gets thick before each addition of broth.  Simmer until desired thickness, add onions. 


If you like your curry with vegetables (potatoes, peppers, corn, whateves) in a more stew like fashion, double the recipe above and add the vegetables when you add the onion, and cook another 20 minutes. 


Serve it with rice or quinoa, or just eat it straight out of the pan. I like mine with rice and edamame. 

3 comments:

  1. I was grocery shopping today and noticed that our commissary has a new shelf of gluten-free baking mixes. I thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're using butter, this recipe isn't vegan ):

    ReplyDelete